Thursday, February 17, 2011

A fun little idea.

~Paper Lantern House~
Here's a fun and really simple idea.  Take a photograph of your house and print it horizontally on a standard 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of 20# weight paper.  Cut a straight edge along the bottom of the image and at the top cut along the house's roof line.  loosely wrap the house around a soup can slightly overlapping at the back.  Using a couple of pieces of satin transparent tape secure.  Now in order to make this a safe lantern you need to use a battery operated tea light.  You can find these little 1 1/2" lights pretty easily in craft stores (especially around the holidays).  NEVER USE A CANDLE!  Paper + flame = fire.  Simply place the paper house cylinder over the tea light and your house is glowing with warmth.
This picture was taken in the dark, but in a dimly lit space with a fresh battery in the light the house gives of a nice soft glow.  I sell these "hutch studio" lights at the shop but it's just one of those free ideas that people leave the studio with.  To make a "move" easier on a child a warm light of the house that they grew up in could be a great comfort.  If you use this idea in some way I would love to hear about it and post a picture if possible.  Send photos and messages to me at the studio -chrisptheiss@gmail.com
Have fun with the idea!


12 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a child facing a move to a new house! This is why I love art... amazing idea, amazing you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I only wish my house had character like this one.. porch and all. Great craft idea to do with kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful! Thaks for explain how to do. I don't know this kind of light you used. I whish to do that with the little light that my my dougter have all the night switch on. Now I'm thinkig how to hang the photo...
    (... and excuse my english)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever and fun!
    You just gave me a great idea for a birthday present, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great idea for a child from a move to a new house! I just wish my house had a character like this concept. Great idea of making art with children.
    PPI

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paper lanterns are a amazing and eco-friendly way to light-weight the home or lawn. Its dim light-weight contributes an artistic attract the planet regardless of the position where it is lit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, very innovative ideas for new house. I am quiet impress with this. Thanks for sharing!

    flv player

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these and will have to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cool and they even look great on or off.
    xx Tanya
    http://aciddreamsandsugarhighs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. Am definitely going to do this! I think laminating the picture would make it sturdier, but do you think it would affect the transparency of the candle when turned on?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...